Benefits of Cycling
Cycling can be fun. It is environment-friendly, renders great health benefits, doesn’t go harsh on your pockets and brings in other countless benefits that make one’s life healthier and jubilant. We may have switched to bikes and cars for transportation, and shifted to the gym for exercises and workouts, but the enthusiasm that cycling provides can't be understated. Even though the roadmaps have changed, the old neighborhoods have changed, the conspicuous exuberance cycling brings is worth reliving.
Here are a few proven health benefits of cycling:
- A Great Workout - Cycling, be it for transportation or for hanging around aimlessly, provides a good substitute for your workout needs. You don’t have to drag yourself to the gym if you can take out some time for cycling in your routine. It offers you all the health benefits of a workout along with a great reason to enjoy some air outdoors.
- Good for heart - Cycling helps in reducing blood pressure and monitors your heart rate. It enhances the blood circulation in the body and helps in reducing the chances of developing heart disease by 50%. It’s a very affordable and enjoyable source of preventing any adverse health effects.
- Build up muscles - Cycling helps in building stamina, muscle strength, and strengthening overall physical endurance. Cycling requires more than just pedaling continuously which means the whole body is involved in it. So clear your misconception that cycling is only about strengthening your leg muscles. Regular cycling makes you flexible and fit.
- Controls weight - Struggling hard to lose weight? If this is the case with you, you should give cycling a shot. An hour of cycling can burn up to 1000 calories. Of course, several other factors also contribute to weight loss like your diet, the intensity of cycling, etc, so you better follow a healthy diet and good routine for cycling if you want to see the results.
- Mental health - Studies have shown that a 5% improvement in cardio-respiratory fitness leads to 15% better results in mental tests. A study at YMCA has shown that people with a physically active lifestyle had a wellbeing score of 32% higher than those who aren’t involved in any physical activity.
- Treats insomnia - Sleepless nights can lead to apparent disturbances in daily routine work, weakens the immune system, creates mental disturbances and a lot more. Cycling can help in treating insomnia by a certain level. Cycling helps reduce the sleeping time taken by individuals and at the same time ensures better, longer and sound sleep.
- Improves well being - Cycling helps in releasing endorphins in the brain which are responsible for feeling good and happy. Cycling uplifts one’s mood and helps in tackling depression. It promotes a happier outlook on life and brings in the radiating vibes of merriment and excitement.
- Other benefits - Along with benefits as mentioned above, riding a bicycle provides great health benefits to both the mother and child during pregnancy. It is eco-friendly, prevents greenhouse emissions and pollution.
It’s always good to shuffle things a little to bring in new and better changes in life. Go, ride your bicycle and get some air outside while doing a great workout that’s fun and offers endless benefits.
By: Kiara Sharma | on 2019-12-18